Camp Banksia Redevelopment
Latrobe Council is undertaking a major redevelopment of Port Sorell’s Camp Banksia and Banksia Centre.
Valued at $5.3m the redevelopment will create a vibrant site that offers exciting new opportunities for camping, play, sport and recreation, local history, performing arts and cultural activities.
Guided by the Camp Banksia Master Plan 2019, the redevelopment is supported by a $4m Community Development Grant from the Australian Government.
The project team has worked with Design intent to finalise the schematic design of the project. After detailed investigations into the needs of the site, there have been changes from the original master plan to ensure the site can provide the type of facilities required and meet the expectations of the community.
The result of this is a design that provides:
- Five fully enclosed 26 bed cabins that will cater to requirements of school groups, sporting clubs and community groups. Each new cabin will be fully accessible by wheelchair and provide five separate sleeping spaces, amenities, and a kitchenette.
- A destination playground with multiple play opportunities and a nature pay space to let your imagination run wild. Serviced by new public toilets and BBQ facilities, the playground will be a great addition to the Port Sorell area.
- Redeveloped open space that will be available for all types of ball sports and recreational activities.
- An enhanced function centre capable of hosting major performances and events. Fitted out with tiered seating for 200 and contemporary audio-visual equipment this will create new opportunities for functions and events.
- A new exhibition space to showcase Port Sorell’s local history.
The redevelopment will now move to the detailed design phase that is expected to be completed by early 2021. This will be followed by a 12-month construction period which will see the transformed site reopen in early 2022.